RSS

Sunday, April 15, 2012

My Son, My Miracle Page 7

I nearly went into shock the first time I saw Jared . . .




Painting by:  Del Parson


I Know That My Redeemer Lives

I know that my Redeemer lives.
What comfort this sweet sentence gives.
He lives, He lives who once was dead.
He lives, my ever living Head.
He lives to bless me with his love.
He lives to plead for me above.
He lives, my hungry soul to feed.
He lives to bless in time of need.

He lives to grant me rich supply.
He lives to guide me with his eye.
He lives to comfort me when faint.
He lives to hear my soul's complaint.
He lives to silence all my fears.
He lives to wipe away my tears.
He lives to calm my troubled heart.
He lives all blessings to impart.

--Samual Medley




Jared was still alive on Saturday morning, something that I had hoped and prayed for but did not give much faith to.  My heart could no longer keep me from seeing him.  I gathered my strength and braved a trip in a wheelchair from Women's to Children's Hospital.  The two hospitals were connected so the trip was brief.

I nearly went into shock the first time I saw Jared.  His little body  had tubes and apparatus leading two and from almost every inch of it.  He was lying flat on his back.  His big grayish-brown eyes were wide open and when I looked into them I knew he wanted to live.  He displayed determination.  His countenance was bright and he seemed to recognize my voice as I quietly spoke to him.  

From that moment on, I knew that I would fight with everything I had for his survival.  I would not give up.  My maternal instincts kicked  in and I was determined to learn everything I could about his condition and, along with his father, never stop fighting and searching for the best doctors and medicine this country had to offer.   There would be no more feeling sorry for myself.

 I yearned to hold Jared in my arms and snuggle him and comfort him and sing to him and nurse him.  But I couldn't.  He was tethered to the hospital bed.  Many days would go by before I could hold him for the first time.  When I did have the opportunity to hold him, I had to hold him away from my body because he has bound by arm boards, breathing tube, feeding tube, IV lines and more. The only place I could touch him without interfering with the medical lines was on the top of his head.  So I just sat there rubbing the top of his little perfectly round head.  It was evident that he was comforted by the warm touch of his mother's hand.   

Steve had been fasting since Jared was born.  Fasting "consists of the complete abstinence from food and drink.  Fasting, with prayer as its companion, is designed to increase spirituality; to foster a spirit of devotion and love of God; to increase faith in the hearts of men, thus insuring divine favor;  and to encourage humility and contrition of soul."  (Bruce R. McConkie.)  Steve was desperately seeking direction from God and his fasting and prayers were a demonstration of humility as he lay his petitions before Him. 

Steve's oldest brother, Rob, and his wife left Maryland to drive up to Michigan as soon as they could make arrangements for the care of their five young children.  As soon as they heard about their little nephew they said they knew they had to come and be with us.  Having family arrive to comfort and assist us was like new light rescuing us from the fog.  When Rob arrived on Saturday afternoon, Steve asked him to assist in giving Jared another blessing.  This would be a blessing given to the sick by men who hold the Melchizedek Priesthood involving the use of consecrated olive oil that had been blessed for the healing of the sick.

In the New Testament of the Bible, James 5:14-15 reads, "Is any sick among you?  Let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: and the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up."

Through personal fasting and prayer, Steve knew he was going to ask God to increase and heal Jared's lungs.  Jared's tiny malformed heart was going to need the support of two healthy lungs. 

On Sunday evening, Steve and Rob quietly approached Jared's bedside in the Mott Children's Intensive Care Unit and reverently and discreetly anointed Jared's head with oil and gave him a blessing.  He implored his loving Heavenly Father to allow the artery which supplies blood to the lungs to open and for his lungs to be made whole so that the doctors could focus on his tiny heart.

To Be Continued . . .




1 comments:

Katie said...

Every time I read your blog I can just picture it in my mind! You are such a great storyteller and your stories are inspiring to me!

Post a Comment